These Chipotle Steak Tacos are the epitome of taco perfection. In your air fryer or oven, make these delicious steak tacos that the whole family will enjoy.
If you want to make your own Chipotle steak, we’ve got you covered with our copycat recipe.
The marinade is quick and simple, and the steak cooks in 10 minutes; it doesn’t get any easier than that! This steak is smoky, a little spicy, flavorful, and delicious.
- How To Cook Jasmin Rice In A Rice Cooker
- The Best Flour Sifters
- How to Make Sticky Rice in a Rice Cooker
WHAT MAKES THIS CHIPOTLE STEAK TACO RECIPE
- FLAVOR. If you’ve never tried adobo sauce, you’re going to love it on steak! It’s spicy with just the right amount of acidity.
- EASY. You’ll love how easy this is to make, whether you make it in the Air Fryer or the oven. Use my delectable flank steak marinade, then cook – it’s that simple!
- LOW-CARB APPROVED. Make these a new Keto favorite by serving them with a low-carb tortilla or without one at all!
HOW TO MAKE BEEFSTEAK TACOS IN YOUR AIR FRYER
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making this delicious flank steak recipe in your Air Fryer.
- Marinate. In a large mixing bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine the beef strips. Combine the onion, garlic, chipotle chile, adobo sauce, chile powder, cumin, oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper, and water in a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Pour the flank steak marinade over the meat and stir or seal the bag and massage to coat and combine thoroughly. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Cook. Remove the beef strips from the bag with tongs and place them flat in the air fryer basket, overlapping as little as possible; discard the marinade. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 8 minutes, turning the beef strips halfway through. It’s possible that you’ll have to do this in two batches.
- Serve. Distribute the meat evenly among the tortillas. Serve with cheese and salsa on top.
OVEN-BAKED CHIPOTLE STEAK TACOS
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can make this recipe in your oven just as easily! Simply follow the same steps as with the air fryer method, but cook the steak on a sheet pan.
HOW TO COOK FLANK STEAK FOR STEAK TACOS IN THE OVEN
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Cook the steak for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side.
- Allow the meat to rest before serving.
HOW DO YOU CUT A STEAK FOR TACOS?
When cutting the steak for this Chipotle Steak Tacos recipe, make sure to cut the steak into strips and along the grain.
Cutting the flank steak against the grain makes it much easier to chew, making the steak taco experience even more enjoyable.
WHAT KIND OF STEAK SHOULD I BUY FOR TACOS?
Tacos can be made with almost any type of steak, but the most popular options are flank steak, skirt steak, or sirloin steak.
I chose flank steak for this Chipotle Steak Tacos recipe because it is reasonably priced, readily available in most grocery stores, and, quite frankly, I always have it on hand because I have so many other flank steak recipes.
If you want to try skirt steak tacos, learn how to cook skirt steak properly.
ARE STEAK TACOS HEALTHY?
The healthiness of a taco is mostly determined by how it is served. To keep these steak tacos low carb, serve them as a taco salad or over cauliflower rice.
If you want to reduce the fat content of the dish, use a leaner cut of steak, such as sirloin tip side steak or top sirloin.
However, if you’re on a keto diet, the higher fat content can help you stay in ketosis.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE STEAK IS MEDIUM-RARE?
There are a few approaches to achieving that perfect level of doneness. You could do the following for a 1-inch-thick steak:
- Take your time! 3-5 minutes per side will usually result in a medium-rare finish.
- Grasp it! When pressed, a medium-rare steak will squish slightly. Medium doneness has no give, and rare is all squish.
- It’s a test! Insert the meat thermometer and look for a temperature of 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit for medium-rare.
- The touch technique is truly the best, but it takes practice to master, so I always share the general timing as a quick way to check for doneness.
WHAT TYPE OF STEAK TO USE
There are several options for the type of steak to use in this recipe! Ideally, you want to use a steak that is naturally tender, thinly sliced, and quick to cook. Here are my suggestions:
- Flat Iron Steak – This is a cut of meat that I believe is frequently overlooked or confused with flank steak. It’s actually very tender and works well when thinly sliced!
- Ribeye is a tender cut of beef with a high marbling/fat content.
- Sirloin is one of my favorite cuts of meat! It has a good flavor and just the right amount of fat ratio for me.
- Ask your butcher to thinly slice the steak for you so you don’t have to do it yourself! It saves you time and effort in cleaning.
CHIPOTLE STEAK COPYCAT – TIPS AND TRICKS
- Adjust the level of heat. If you prefer a milder flavor, use fewer peppers or marinate for a shorter period of time. You can also remove the marinade before grilling to make it less spicy.
- Do you want it even spicier? To the sauce, add more chipotles, cayenne powder, or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Preheat the grill too high. Allow plenty of time for it to get nice and hot for the best results. Because skirt steak cooks quickly, it’s best to sear the outside quickly to seal in the flavor without drying out the center.
- Make use of any leftover chiles. With extra peppers and adobo sauce, make a delicious spicy ranch dipping sauce! It’s a perfect complement to these Cheesecake Factory knockoff egg rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Meanwhile, our steak is sourced from all over the place: bottom rounds, top rounds, eye of round, inside round, outside round, sirloin, knuckle, ball tip, and sirloin top. You get the idea. There are many rounds. These cuts hold up well to the grill’s heat, with each bite having a nicely charred outside and a perfect medium-rare inside.
According to Chris Arnold, a Chipotle spokesman, the steak will be cooked “sous vide” at an off-site central kitchen before being marinated and seared on grills in the restaurants. “Sous vide is a cooking technique used by many great chefs that cooks at low temperatures for extended periods of time.”
While you might have expected the steak at this chain restaurant to be tender and juicy, it’s actually quite tough. Some might even say it’s chewy, which is the last thing you want from a piece of steak, whether it’s on its own or wrapped up in a burrito and smothered in guac.
The smoked brisket is “made with Responsibly Raised beef, smoked and charred to perfect tenderness, and seasoned with fire-roasted jalapenos, chipotle chili peppers, and finished with a smoky chili pepper Brisket sauce,” according to the restaurant.
Chipotle Steak Tacos Recipe [Easy and Healthy]
- Prep Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Chipotle Steak Tacos are taco perfection. Make these delectable steak tacos in your air fryer or oven.
For The Steak
- 1.5 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced along the grain into long strips
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce,
- 1 canned chipotle chile + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 cup Salsa
- 8 flour tortillas, 6-inch tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese,, crumbled
- In a large mixing bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine the beef strips. Combine the onion, garlic, chipotle chile, adobo sauce, chile powder, cumin, oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper, and water in a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Pour the marinade over the meat and stir or seal the bag and massage to coat and combine thoroughly. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Remove the beef strips from the bag with tongs and place them flat in the air fryer basket, overlapping as little as possible; discard the marinade. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 8 minutes, turning the beef strips halfway through. It’s possible that you’ll have to do this in two batches.
FOR THE OVEN
- Place the steak in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Preheat the broiler and cook the steak for 3-4 minutes.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side.
- Distribute the meat evenly among the tortillas. Serve with cheese and salsa on top.
The nutrition facts do not include serving suggestions for optional toppings.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Steak
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 372kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
Keywords: Chipotle steak tacos recipe, chipotle steak tacos, chipotle tacos, chipotle recipe, steak recipe