Why go out to a steakhouse when you can make the best porterhouse at home? Sous Vide Porterhouse Steak is a no-fail recipe that is extremely simple to prepare. It’s extremely tender, juicy, and flavorful! You’ll never go back once you’ve tried it!
- 1 ½ pound porterhouse steak about 1 ½ inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary, optional
- Preheat the sous vide machine: Add water to the sous vide container or a large pot, set the Sous Vide Precision Cooker to (135°F/57°C) for medium-rare doneness. If you’d like to cook it less, see the guide in the post.
- Season the steak by rubbing it all over with 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- Season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- Sous vide the steak: Combine the seasoned porterhouse steak and optional herbs in a zip-lock bag.
- Seal the bag except for one corner and slowly place it in a container filled with cold water. Make certain that everything below the zip-line is submerged in water. Then, seal the remainder of the bag.
- Place the bag in the sous vide container’s water bath. Ascertain that it is completely submerged.
- Remove the bag from the water bath and place it in the fridge or an ice bath when the timer goes off. Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Sear the steak: Remove the steak from the bag and pat dry with paper towels (Make sure the surface of the steak is completely dry before searing).
- If necessary, season with additional salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the remaining olive oil. When the pan is very hot, add the minced garlic and the steak and sear for 1 minute per side.
- Remove the meat from the bone and cut it into strips across the grain. Then serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 463kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 724mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 35g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
Keywords: Sous vide porterhouse steak, sous vide steak, sous vide, sous vide porterhouse recipe