This Filipino Beef Tapa tapsilog marinade has a delicious combination of sweet, sour, and salty flavors that make me want to eat more! Serve with garlicky fried rice, crispy fried eggs, fresh tomatoes, and atchara (pickled green papaya) for breakfast or any time of day.
- 300 grams beef sirloin thinly sliced ((any other cuts of beef are ok))
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon calamansi or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce optional
- 1–2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Prepare the marinade. In a shallow bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the beef. You can taste the marinade and adjust the seasoning as needed (e.g. more sugar if you want it sweeter, add chili flakes if you want a spicy tapa.)
- Add the beef and coat each piece thoroughly with the marinade. To avoid an overly salty tapa, the beef slices should not be “swimming” in the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours to marinate.
- Remove the beef from the marinade. Heat the cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the beef slices in a single layer and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until well browned on all sides. The cooking time is determined by the thickness of the meat. The key is not to overcook them, or else your tapa will become tough.
- Serve With: -garlic fried rice -crispy, sunny-side up egg -fresh, chopped tomatoes -atchara (pickled green papaya) -see recipe in notes -vinegar dip
Thai chili is soaked in white vinegar to make spicy vinegar sauce.
If fresh calamansi juice is unavailable, many Asian markets sell frozen calamansi juice packets.
When working with beef, it’s best to cut against the grain. (The grain refers to the muscle fibers.) This will result in more tender, easier-to-chew pieces.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Beef
- Cuisine: Filipino
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 168kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 1711mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
Keywords: Beef tapa recipe, easy beef tapa recipe, beef recipe, beef tapsilog