My preferred method for cooking steak in the oven. Oven-broiled steak is surprisingly simple to prepare and cook to your preferred degree of doneness, and it’s just as delicious as it always has been!
- 2 good-quality steaks, room temperature, ideally about 1 to 1.5-inches thick (such as filet mignon, rib eye, T-bone, strip steak, sirloin, flank steak, or your preferred cut of steak)
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil (such as avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or seasoned salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven’s broiler. Allow the steaks to rest on a plate until completely room temperature.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place aside.
- Using paper towels, pat the steaks dry. Then, brush both sides of the steaks evenly with oil, and sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly on both sides of the steaks.
- In the meantime, heat a cast iron skillet (or oven-safe sauté pan) over high heat for 6-8 minutes. Once the pan is extremely hot, add the steaks and evenly press them into the pan with a spatula, ensuring that the entire bottom surface of the steaks makes contact with the pan. 30 seconds in the microwave.
- To flip the steaks, use tongs carefully. Then, carefully transfer the skillet to the oven using an oven mitt. 3 minutes under the broiler Then flip the steaks again and bake for another 2-3 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the steak reaches 5 degrees below your desired level of doneness (see chart below, I recommend measuring the temperature with an oven-safe meat thermometer). After you remove the steak from the oven, it will continue to cook for a few minutes.
- When the steaks are done, remove the pan from the oven and transfer the steaks to a clean plate. Brush the steak with any of the pan juices. Then, tent the plate loosely with aluminum foil and set the steak aside for at least 3 minutes.
- Serve hot. Alternatively, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Steak
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 410kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 141mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
Keywords: Steak in the oven recipe, steak recipe, how to cook steak in oven, oven baked steak recipe