This Sous Vide Picanha is tender and juicy, and it’s incredibly flavorful and simple to make. You’ll love how the sous vide allows you to cook your steak to the exact level of doneness, giving you perfect picanha every time.
- 2–3 pounds picanha culotte, top sirloin cap, rump cover
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Lime Juice Dipping Sauce
- Juice of 2 whole limes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- For rare to medium rare, heat a sous vide water bath to 131F degrees (recommended for best results). Cook at 134-140°F for medium, and 145°F for medium well.
- Olive oil and salt should be rubbed into the picanha.
- Put everything in a bag and use a vacuum sealer to get rid of all the air. To remove the air, you can also use the water displacement method with a ziplock freezer bag (see post above for explanation).
- In a water bath, cook for 6 hours.
- Remove from the oven and immediately immerse in an ice bath for 5-10 minutes to stop the cooking.
- Over high heat, heat a cast iron skillet, griddle, or grill until smoking.
- Sear the picanha for about 1-2 minutes, fat side down (until fat is rendered and browned).
- Cook for another 45-60 seconds on the other side to brown.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and serve with the chimichurri sauce or lime juice mixture.
Making Lime Juice Dipping Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and lime juice. Make adjustments to suit your taste.
Picanha steak can also be sliced into strips and skewered for grilling like traditional picanha.
For the best results, I recommend cooking at 131F degrees.
To avoid overcooking while searing, use an ice bath to cool the beef after cooking and before searing.
Sear the fat side first to render the fat.
Cook the beef to a temperature of no less than 131°F. To meet food safety standards, beef should be cooked at 130F degrees for cook times longer than 2 hours.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: South American
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 293kcal
- Sodium: 1382mg
- Fat: 20g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
Keywords: Sous vide picanha, picanha steak, sous vide recipe, sous vide picanha recipe