Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes are rich and creamy, with a buttery, garlicky flavor. This is my all-time favorite side dish recipe, and it’s always a hit with the crowd! Unlike boiling potatoes in water, the sous vide method yields a richer and more intense puree by immersing the potatoes in the buttery goodness while they cook, soaking up all the flavors!
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes or Yukon golds
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Kosher salt to taste
- chopped chives
- Fill a large container or pot halfway with water to start the Sous Vide Machine. Set the sous vide precision cooker to 194oF/90oC and the timer to 1 hour.
- Wash and peel the potatoes before cutting them into 1/2-inch slices (you can also leave the skins on for extra flavor).
- Put the potato slices in a zip-top bag, season with butter, salt, and garlic, and then add the milk. Spread the potatoes out evenly in the bag, then seal it with the “water displacement” technique. (Seal all but one corner of the bag, then slowly place it in the water bath, making sure everything below the zip-line is covered by water before sealing the rest of the bag.)
- Make certain that the potatoes are completely submerged in water. If necessary, add heavy kitchen items to the bag to weigh it down.
- Cook the potatoes sous vide: Place the vacuum-sealed potatoes in a water bath for 1 hour.
- When the timer goes off, transfer the cooked potatoes to a large mixing bowl and add half of the liquid from the bag. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, gradually adding more liquid if necessary to achieve the desired consistency. (If you mix too much, it will become gummy.)
- Season with extra salt and garnish with chopped chives before serving warm. You can also add chopped green onions, freshly ground black pepper, extra butter, or other herbs/seasonings!
It may take much longer to cook if you use different types of potatoes or cut your potatoes into large chunks.
You can reheat leftover mashed potatoes in the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Stir and repeat until the mixture is piping hot all the way through.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 204kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 298mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
Keywords: Sous vide mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, sous vide recipe, mashed potatoes recipe