Sous Vide Flat Iron Steak is a simple and foolproof recipe for cooking this inexpensive cut, which delivers intense beef flavor with a tender texture. The best results are obtained by cooking it at a precise temperature in the sous vide water bath and finishing with a quick pan sear.
- 1 pound flat-iron steak
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fill the sous vide container or a large pot halfway with water, and set the Sous Vide Precision Cooker to (135°F/57°C) for medium-rare doneness. If you want to cook to a different level of doneness, refer to the temperature chart in the post above.
- Season your flat iron steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Fill a zip-lock bag halfway with the seasoned steak.
- Seal the bag except for one corner and slowly lower it into the water bath. Make sure the water covers everything below the zip-line, and then push the air out. (If the water is already warm, use kitchen tongs to push the bag into the water.) Then, seal the remainder of the bag.
- In the sous vide water bath, place the vacuum-sealed bag. Ascertain that it is completely submerged.
- 2 hours in the oven.
- Remove the bag from the water bath and place it in an ice bath when the timer goes off (or refrigerator). Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the steak from the bag and pat dry with paper towels. (Make sure to completely dry the surface.)
- If necessary, season with additional salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or grill over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the steak and sear for 1 minute per side. (If using a grill, brush the oil on the steak.)
- Serve immediately by slicing against the grain.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 2 servings
- Calories: 462kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 749mg
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 43g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
Keywords: Sous vide flat iron steak, flat iron steak recipe, sous vide recipe, flat iron steak sous vide