Get the best coulotte steak recipe for searing or grilling this beef cut in a cast iron skillet. Make super tender, juicy “picanha steak,” with complete instructions on what coulotte steak is and how to cook it. Let’s get started!
- 1 (8oz) coulotte steak (aka top sirloin cap roast)
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the coulotte steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Make the seasoning for the coulotte steak. To make the dry rub, combine the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl.
- The coulotte fat cap should be scored. Cut a 1/2-inch perpendicular line across the fat cap.
- Coulotte steak should be seasoned. Spread steak seasoning liberally over the beef cut.
- Sear the coulotte steak. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and cook until it becomes hot and shiny, then add the steak, fat side down. Sear the steak for about 2-3 minutes, or until a brown crust forms on the side of the beef that is in contact with the pan. Flip the steak and sear the other side for 2-3 minutes, or until the steak develops a brown crust. Sear the edges for 10-20 seconds each (using tongs to hold the steak) to brown them, but no longer so the steak doesn’t overcook.
- Check the temperature of the steak with a meat thermometer. In this recipe, the steak was cooked to medium rare, almost medium at 135°F-140°F. If the steak has not yet reached the desired temperature, continue flipping it every 20-30 seconds until it does. (I recommend taking it off the heat a little before the desired steak temperature is reached, because it continues to cook off the heat.)
- Rest the steak for 10 minutes on a cutting board before serving. At this point, you can add 1 tbsp butter, or compound butter to the top of the steak to melt and add juicy flavor.
How to grill a Coulotte Steak:
- Use the same method as before, but brush or spray the grill with cooking spray before adding the steak. Cook the steak over high heat (approximately 500°F). Cook the steak for a few minutes on each side before flipping it until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Steak
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 39kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 1163mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: Coulette steak recipe, grill coulette recipe, beef recipe, beef coulette steak