The best garlic grilled flank steak recipe ever for juicy flank steak or skirt steak with a crunchy grill crust. Perfect grilled flank steak recipe for steak salad, steak tacos, fajitas, and more!
- 1 ½ lb flank steak
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper, freshly cracked
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp italian herb mix
- ¼ cup diced garlic
- 2 oz lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- Trim any excess fat or silver skin from the flank steak and lay it out flat.
- Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl or (preferably) a large plastic bag, combine the olive oil, herbs, lemon zest and juice, and diced garlic.
- Place the steak in the bag and marinate for 40 minutes to two hours.
- Start the grill or the charcoals, aiming for high heat (about 400 degrees).
- Remove the steak from the bag and season with garlic powder.
- Cook the steak on a hot grill for 4-5 minutes, flipping every 4-5 minutes.
- Before adding the steak, brush the grill grates with olive oil.
- The steak will cook for about 10 minutes for medium rare (this will vary depending on your grill, how hot it is outside, if it is windy, etc., so be sure to check your steak and how quickly it is cooking).
- Cook the steak directly over the heat, flipping twice, for 10 minutes as listed above – and then move slightly away from the heat (to a higher rack, or spot where the flames aren’t directly underneath) to continue cooking to your preferred doneness without becoming too charred.
- When the steak is done to your liking, remove it from the grill.
- Place a small piece of foil over the steak to “tent” it and let it rest for 10 minutes to finish the carryover cooking.
- When the steak has rested for at least 10 minutes (don’t rush – if you cut it right off the grill, the steak’s juices will all run out), slice it width-wise (so you have lots of thin strips instead of just a few long strips) against the grain – this is important to keep the steak from being too chewy or tough.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Steak
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 398kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 456mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 32g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
Keywords: Steak recipe, flank steak recipe, grilled flank steak, how to cook flank steak, flank steak