Sous Vide Fried Chicken has a crispy and crunchy exterior with tender and juicy meat on the inside. It’s the simplest way to fry chicken because sous vide produces evenly cooked meat, which is then coated in flour and buttermilk and quickly deep fried to golden perfection. Excellent for a potluck or picnic!
Sous Vide Chicken
- 12 chicken drumsticks skin on (see notes if you use chicken thighs, wings or breasts*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for Frying the Chicken
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oreganoVegetable oil as needed for frying
Sous Vide Chicken:
- Fill the sous vide container or a large pot halfway with water, and set the Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 155°F (68°C).
- Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a zip-lock bag and vacuum seal it using the “water displacement” technique: seal all but one corner of the bag and slowly place it in a container filled with water. Make certain that everything below the zip-line is submerged in water. Then, seal the remainder of the bag. (If you’re using a vacuum sealer, use the dry setting.)
- Place the bag in the sous vide container’s warm water bath. Ascertain that it is completely submerged. (If the top of the chicken is floating above the water, place a pair of metal kitchen tongs on top to completely submerge it.)
- Cook for 2 hours if using chicken drumsticks (see notes for details* if using other types of chicken).
Fry the Chicken:
- Begin heating the oil when the chicken is almost done.
- Heat 2 inches (5cm) of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Preheat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano. Thoroughly combine.
- Buttermilk should be added to a separate medium bowl.
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces from the zip-lock bag and pat dry with paper towels thoroughly.
- Add each piece to the flour mixture, shake off the excess, and then dip into the buttermilk, shaking off the excess liquid, and return to the flour mixture. Coat thoroughly and tap off excess (working with one piece at a time is best).
- Gently lower the breaded chicken into the oil using kitchen tongs. Fry 3-4 pieces at a time to avoid crowding the pan. You’ll notice that the temperature drops slightly, so adjust the heat so that it stays between 300-350 F.
- Fry each piece for 3-4 minutes, or until golden crispy (you only need to fry the coating because the inside is already fully cooked).
- Place the fried chicken on a cooling rack to cool. Allow for a 10-minute rest before serving.
If you’re cooking other types of chicken, here’s a time guide for sous vide cooking:
- 45 minutes for chicken wings
- 1 to 1.5 hours for chicken thighs
- 1.5 hours for chicken breasts
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 309kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 937mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 144mg
Keywords: Sous vide friend chicken, fried chicken recipe, sous vide recipe, fried chicken sous vide