Braised Eye of Round Steaks are cooked low and slow until fork-tender perfection! The braising method tenderizes the lean and tough meat into mouthwatering pieces in this simple Eye of Round Recipe.
- 4 pieces eye of round steak, (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds or 0.8 kg in total)2 large onions, thinly sliced2 tablespoons olive oil, divided3 cloves garlic, minced, (1 tablespoon)1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon minced garlic Cook for 1 minute, or until the mixture is fragrant.
Sauté the sliced onions for about 5 minutes, or until soft and slightly browned. Place on a plate and set aside.
To remove excess moisture, pat dry the eye of round steaks with paper towels.
Season the steak with salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Then lightly dust with flour.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add another 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. When the pan is hot, add the steaks and sear for 1-2 minutes per side, or until nicely browned.
Pour in the balsamic vinegar, beef broth, and sautéed onion.
Combine the honey, onion powder, paprika, and ginger powder in a mixing bowl.
Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until it reaches a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover tightly with a lid.
Simmer for 2-2.5 hours, or until the meat is tender with a fork. Make sure to check and replenish the liquid on a regular basis. (To replenish, add enough water to come halfway up the meat, turn up the heat, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and continue to simmer.)
Serve immediately with the sauce drizzled on top. (To make a thicker gravy, remove the meat and vegetables with a slotted spoon and whisk together 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the mixture to the sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes until thick.)
You can make this ahead of time and reheat it in a covered pot on the stove for about 5 minutes, or until the meat is warmed through. If necessary, add more water.
Make it in the oven, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Follow the instructions above until you reach the simmering stage.
- After bringing all of the ingredients to a boil in an oven-safe pan, cover and bake for about 2.5 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Make it in the slow cooker:
- Season and dust the eye of round steak with salt and pepper.
- Sear the steak in a pan and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In the crock pot, combine the uncooked onions and other ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low, or until the steak is fork tender.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Steak
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 182kcal
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 810mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: Eye of steak recipe, balsamic braised eye of steak recipe, beef steak recipe, eye of round recipe