The ultimate no-fuss weeknight dinner recipe is Crock Pot Cubed Steak with Gravy. Tender, flavorful, and delicious with mashed potatoes!
This meal is not only cheap, but it is also one of those “set it and forget it” meals. Toss everything in the slow cooker and dinner will be ready when you are!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Fresh vegetables, lower sodium, and fewer processed ingredients, such as no cream of chicken soup, combine to make this a healthier version of Cubed Steak and Gravy.
- This is a great recipe to make if you’ve been gone all day but still want a quick weeknight meal. It’s simple to prepare and won’t leave your kitchen in shambles as you rush out the door.
- In this easy slow cooker dump recipe, we’re taking shortcuts wherever we can. Will you always lend a helping hand to me?!?
WHAT IS CUBE STEAK?
Cube steak is tenderized top sirloin or top round steak that has been reshaped into flat “patties,” a process known as cubing.
EASY BEEF CROCK POT RECIPES
Crock Pot Cube Steak is one of the simplest crock pot recipes.
Simply combine the gravy ingredients in the slow cooker, season the cube steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and place the meat in the slow cooker to cook.
After a few hours, you’ll have tender cube steak with a rich gravy ready to serve for dinner. Make some mashed potatoes and top them with your favorite side vegetable.
This is a classic meat-and-potatoes meal that will have the whole family begging for more.
INGREDIENTS IN SLOW COOKER CUBE STEAK:
- Instead of Lipton onion soup mix, we used sliced onions and Worcestershire sauce. This flavor combination is pure heaven for your taste buds!
- Fresh mushrooms are used in place of cream of mushroom soup in this recipe. If you prefer, you can buy the pre-sliced version to save time and effort! If you haven’t gotten to the grocery store yet, you can substitute canned mushrooms.
- Tomatoes, diced – these provide the liquid for our gravy mixture. Regular or petite diced tomatoes, as well as fire-roasted tomatoes, can be used. When combined with the other ingredients in the recipe, it doesn’t taste particularly tomatoey.
- Of course, cube steak! Swiss steak is another name for cube steak. It’s a round steak that’s been tenderized with a meat tenderizer. This cut of meat has tiny little slits in it, which is where the flavor comes from! If you’re feeling ambitious and want to learn more about beef cuts, you can do so.
- It releases juices and creates its own beef broth to cook in as it cooks. In this recipe, you can also use round steak, top sirloin, or top round steak.
- Seasoned with salt and pepper. You can also use all-purpose flour instead of cornstarch.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CUBED BEEF WITH GRAVY:
- Before putting the cubed steaks in the crock pot, season them with seasoned salt and garlic powder, coat them in flour, and brown them in some oil.
- A can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, an envelope of brown gravy mix, and an envelope of onion gravy mix, plus a little water, are combined to make the gravy.
- On top of the cubed steak, a sliced onion and the gravy mixture are placed.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, covered.
- The gravy mixes already have enough flavor and thickeners to make a thick, richly flavored gravy.
- This recipe calls for a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- This hearty home-style dinner will be a hit with you. If you like your meats covered in delicious gravy, don’t miss out on this Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy.
SUBSTITUTES AND ADDITIONS
Even though I love the recipe as is, you can always experiment with the ingredients and try out some new flavors.
- Add Vegetables – If you want to add some vegetables, you can do so. Adding a bag of frozen vegetables to the rest of the ingredients can be a quick and easy solution.
- Black Pepper – use a lot of pepper. This can be added at a later time, but we prefer it with pepper.
- A Large Onion, Chopped – place in the crockpot
- Additional Seasonings – combine.
- , you could easily add any of your favorite seasonings.
- If you want your gravy todepending on how you like your meat seasonedserving, stir it in tio be extra creamy, add 1/2 block cream cheese or sour cream to the mixture. Before If you don’t like mushrooms, you can substitute cream of celery or cream of chicken soup for the mushroom soup.
HOW LONG TO COOK CUBE STEAK IN CROCKPOT ON HIGH?
The general rule is that if you cook on high, you should cook it for half the time you would on low, so for this recipe, you would need to cook your cube steaks on high for 3 hours.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CROCKPOT CUBE STEAK?
Believe me when I say that this should be served with rice or mashed potatoes.
You’ll want to smother them in that delectable sauce. A side of steamed vegetables or a Waldorf salad would also be delicious.
CAN YOU PUT FROZEN CUBE STEAK IN THE CROCKPOT?
It’s not something I’d recommend. Because this is a slow cooking method, the steaks will remain frozen for an extended period of time inside your crockpot, causing your cooking time to be excessive.
It is also unsanitary to defrost meat in a warm environment for an extended period of time, so avoid using frozen steaks.
WHY IS MY CUBE STEAK TOUGH?
Because of the cut of meat, there is a good chance that the meat will be a little tougher.
Cooking it in the slow cooker will help with that because it is a slower cooking process, but you can also pound it out before cooking with a meat tenderizer or meat mallet to make it a bit thinner.
- If you don’t like cream of celery soup, try cream of mushroom soup, cream of asparagus soup, cream of bacon, or your favorite creamed soup instead.
- Make sure your onion rings aren’t too thin. The idea is to use them for flavor as well as to act as a barrier between the steaks so they don’t stick together.
- Check for tenderness if your steaks begin to cook before the timer goes off. They may have been cooked, but they still require additional time to become tender.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cook the cube steak for about a minute or two on each side in oil. After browning the meat, place it in the slow cooker. Allow it to cook on low for six to eight hours to yield perfectly tender cube steak.
Yes! Slow cooking steak is an excellent way to consistently produce savory and tender fillets. … Because these recipes call for searing the steak first, this is an excellent opportunity to use the Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Slow Cooker with Stovetop-Safe Cooking Pot.
Cook for four to six hours on low, or until the internal temperature reaches your desired doneness (here’s a steak temperature guide to help you).
Cube steaks can be made from any meat on the animal, but they are typically made from tougher cuts of meat. They are thin cuts of meat that have been mechanically tenderized before being purchased. They have a rough texture with small indentions as a result of the tenderizing process.
inspired by: https://www.thecountrycook.net/crock-pot-cubed-steak-with-gravy/