Cowboy Steak is a thick-cut ribeye with a French-trimmed bone for presentation. It’s a juicy, tender, and flavorful cut of beef!
- 2 cowboy steaks, 1½-2½ inches thick (18-36 oz each)
- 2 tablespoons oil, canola oil or refined olive oil, divided
- 2-3 teaspoons coarse salt, or kosher salt
- 2-3 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, optional
- Remove the cowboy steaks from the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to allow them to come to room temperature and cook evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius). In the meantime, heat a cast iron pan over high heat for 5 minutes to get very hot while you prepare the steaks.
- To remove excess moisture that could interfere with searing, pat the steaks dry with paper towels.
- 1 tablespoon oil on all sides of the steak Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Swirl the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the hot pan to coat. Please keep in mind that the pan handle will be hot, so use oven mitts to avoid burns.
- Place the seasoned cowboy steak into the pan with kitchen tongs. 1 minute of searing 1 minute later, flip and sear the other side.
- Return the pan to the preheated oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the desired doneness is reached. Add the butter halfway through and spoon the pan juices on top of the meat to baste.
- Insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of a steak to determine doneness: 120°F is rare, 125°F is medium-rare, 130°F is medium, and 135°F is medium-well.
- Take the steaks out of the oven and place them on a carving board or serving platter. Cover and set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
- To separate the meat from the bone, cut along the bone. Then, to serve, cut crosswise against the grain.
Yield: Depending on how thickly you cut it, one cowboy ribeye yields two to three 8-oz servings.
Doneness: To get the most tender steak, don’t cook a tomahawk beyond medium.
Grilled Cowboy Steak: Cook the steak according to the package directions. Then grill at 275°F (135°C) for 30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 100°F (38°C). Raise the heat to high and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, or until done to your liking. Remove from the grill and set aside for 5 minutes before serving, covered with foil.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Steak
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 772kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 1133mg
- Fat: 55g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 69g
- Cholesterol: 215mg
Keywords: Cowboy steak recipe, steak recipe, cowboy steak, cowboy ribeye