Thinly sliced steak is stir-fried with colorful vegetables in a spicy sauce in this Hunan beef. A take-out classic that’s surprisingly simple to make in the comfort of your own home!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound flank steak thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup broccoli florets cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cup canned baby corn drained and halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chili paste such as sambal oelek
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large pan over high heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper to taste and place it in a single layer in the pan.
- 3-4 minutes per side, or until browned. If necessary, cook in multiple batches.
- Place the beef on a plate after removing it from the pan. Keep warm by covering.
- Toss in the broccoli, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the baby corn and mix well. Cook for 30 seconds more after adding the garlic.
- Return the beef to the pan with the vegetables.
- Whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, honey, chili paste, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer over the steak and vegetables. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. If desired, serve immediately over rice.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Beef
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 230kcal
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 1007mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
Keywords: Hunan beef recipe, chinese hunan beef, hunan beef, beef recipe, authentic hunan beef